Wednesday, October 19, 2005

A few rough days

We are slowly getting settled in the house. My best friend, Stacey, came over on Sunday and helped me move some boxes out of the garage, into the appropriate rooms. The boxes that remain in the garage are now organized, and can be located easily. Her help was such a blessing. Then, a woman my mom works with (who I don't know that well) brought us dinner that night. Another huge blessing.

Laney has had several "meltdowns" in the last couple of days, and two rough days at school. Please pray for us - we really need wisdom about how to handle her during these times. Because she can't talk, we don't know what she wants some times, or why she is so upset. She's inconsolable for the most part. It's common for autistic children to have trouble with transitions, so we are exploring ways to make these easier. She's very strong willed, and I think that adds to difficult we have with her. The meltdowns are very hard for me - I feel so helpless. I usually end up in tears. It definitely wears on me.

On the upside, Laney is now using her spoon independently and she's starting to point at pictures & numbers when we verbally name them. (She used to grab our fingers to point at things.) Progress ... slow, but progress.

Matt has class this week - Thursday and Friday. Please pray for him to have good interaction in the classroom, and to retain all the reading he has to do.

Aidan has a cold and had to miss school today. He was disappointed. We'll see how he feels in the morning.

Good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
Just a quick note to let you know that I have a team of stay-at-home-mommies I meet with every other Friday at church who are praying for you, your family, and all the transitions you're facing. I hope that you are comforted knowing that your days, as difficult as they may be, are being prayed over.

We (the Ericson's) enjoy hearing what your family is doing, and are so appreciative of your journaling.

Prayers & Hugs from KY!!! - Kim