Monday, November 10, 2008

A very belated Five for Friday

So sorry ... no excuses (I even had Friday off work) ... here's last week's Five for Friday:

1. We have started to attend our church's Wednesday night activity called Family Fusion. It's a opportunity for kids and parents to attend 45 minutes of music/drama that teaches a different virtue each month. Then for the last 45 minutes, kids go one direction and parents another for some more "teaching time". (I think it is mostly snack and fun for the kids, with a bit of teaching thrown in.) Matt and I had been rotating with Delaney in another room, because we weren't sure that she could "handle" the large group setting. Well, the past two weeks, we have kept her in the big room, and she's done pretty well. Matt or I have to sit with her (in the Kindergarten group) and occasionally redirect her, but overall, we are so happy with how she is doing. During the parent time, a wonderful volunteer from the church has agreed to help her navigate through the kid's time, or just hang with her in the children's library. So thankful for the assistance!

2. We came home Wednesday night to "teaching moment" ... a life lesson that every parent dreads ... but has to be taught. Aidan's goldfish "Goldie" was dead in the fish bowl. Not sure what happened, as he seemed so happy when we left for church. Aidan cried and was so sad. (I shed a tear myself as I watched my boy grieve.) However, by bedtime, Aidan seemed to be doing better. ("I'm not THAT upset anymore ... I mean I don't like it, but I'm okay," was his quote.) Aidan did not want to flush Goldie down the toilet, so we agreed to bury him in the backyard, under the swing set. (Below is the nicely crafted tombstone.)


3. Thursday night, Aidan sang with his class during a 1st and 2nd grade program that had a Patriotic theme. He did great ... all smiles and worked through his choreography like a pro! We had to laugh, as he was taking a bow -again and again and again after the performance. (The only kid doing so.) He gets his on stage charisma from his dad!

4. Friday, Aidan was out of school, so while Laney was at her downtown therapy, we met my mom at the Firehouse Cafe, located in the Firefighter Museum. Lunch was great and then we toured the museum. It was interesting, but not incredibly kid friendly ... lots of reading of signs and such, and no climbing on the fire trucks. We then had time to go to the downtown library, which I had not visited since it was renovated last year. Fantastic children's area. We must go again.
5. I love the smell of burning leaves. It brings back fond memories of raking leaves at my grandmother's house. She had a huge yard, and tons of leaves to rake. Exhausted from raking, my cousins and I would jumped in them for a bit. Then, grandma carefully craft a fire and we'd watch them burn. I'm sure there was hot chocolate involved too. I wish she was still around, so I could take the kids out to her house. Laney would love to jump in the leaves, and Aidan ... we'll all boys love a good fire.
I'll try to be on time this week with the next Five for Friday!

No comments: