Friday, July 25, 2008

Let the Music Play

I read this in an article from the latest Autism Speaks newsletter. It is from a mother was has a 15 year old boy with autism. I thought it was good ... probably because I can relate so well.

"A few years ago, I heard a story that changed the way I framed my feelings about having a child with a disability. Itzhak Perlman was giving a concert. He made his way on crutches to the stage, seated himself, and took up his violin. He began to play, when suddenly a string snapped. Perlman looked around, seeming to measure the length of the stage, how far he would have to go on crutches to fetch a new string, and then seemed to decide that he would do without it. He lifted his violin and began to play, and even without that string, this handicapped man not only played, he played beautifully.

This is what it is like to have a disabled child. It feels as if you've lost a crucial string. And then, painstakingly, you must learn to play the instrument you've been given. Softly, differently, not playing the music you'd intended, but making music nonetheless."

I pray that God will help our family make music, despite the missing string we so desparately want to appear. I pray that music will glorify and honor Him.

No comments: