Wednesday, June 04, 2008

At Long Last, a Post!

If there's anyone still reading this blog, I thought I'd better find time to do a new post. I would have failed blogging in school ... I am so sorry to any faithful readers out there! Today, I am home with the kids, not working, so I guess I don't have any excuse not to blog.

I realize I have to recap our lives for the last few months, since my last post was in March. (How in the world did that happen?!) Last I posted, Matt had just received his new job as Pastoral Intern at our church. His first day was Palm Sunday. (How's that for baptism by fire!) He is really enjoying his new position. He's getting involved in different meetings and different ministries. This summer, he'll be leading worship for our new youth worship service called Thrive. God is using this position to help develop some areas in Matt's life that need sharpening, so he is exactly where he needs to be.

We spent spring break in Tennessee with Matt's family. Always good to see them and the kids are getting to be pros at the 9 1/2 hour car trip. We kept fairly busy during the week - visited the fossil site in Gray, TN, went to the park, saw the Bristol Caverns, and played games. The kids even had a belated Easter egg hunt. And, they jumped on Grandma and Grandpa's bed alot! Matt and I were able to get away for a day while Matt's mom and sister babysat. We spent the day in Gatlinburg - hiked in the Smokies, did some window shopping and played miniature golf. It was nice to reconnect and not have to worry about the kids. Here's some pics from the trip:




Prior to Mother's Day, I went to a Mother's Day Tea at Aidan's school. It was so fun and the kids were so sweet to their moms. Aidan had written a cute story about me, and decorated a flower with all the reasons he loves his mom. I have great kids!


In May, Team Delaney walked in a local fundraiser here called Walk to Talk. We had several friends and family join us (even my aunt from California who was in town). It was a beautiful day at the park, and I think every had a great time. Plus we raised some money for a fantastic local organization that helps families dealing with the challenges of autism. (Picture of Aidan and Laney at the walk is below.)


Just last week, we took a day trip to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor to participate in a research study for autism. We were glad to be a part of it and hope that exciting breakthroughs continue to happen, particularly in the area of genetics. Delaney had a long day, but she held up pretty well. My mom joined us so that she and Aidan could visit the Hands-On Museum while we did the majority of the activities required for the study. The day ended with everyone in our family having to give blood. You can imagine that it was not a pleasant experience for Delaney. Matt had to hold her while they did it. I couldn't bear to be in the room and watch, though I could hear her crying. Aidan was very apprehensive, but with help from daddy and the promise of a Toys R Us gift card (each family member gets a gift card to a store of their choice for participating in the study), he made it through. He can't wait to go shopping!


Both the kids are done with school - Aidan finished Kindergarten and will be in 1st grade. Delaney finished pre-school and will be in Kindergarten. How time flies! Aidan had mixed emotions - excited about school being out, but sad he won't be seeing much of his friends. I need to try and schedule some play dates this summer. We are busy planning for his birthday party on June 14th ... he will be 7!

Laney is continuing to try and use words. We pray for God to teach her to talk every night. We will continue speech therapy this summer, and occupational therapy. We are planning to give potty training another go this summer. She has been starting to go right before getting in the bath tub, so that's encouraging. Her food choices continue to be limited, and if fact, has stopped eating a few things she used to, so this is a continued area of prayer. Her imitation skills are growing. She will be spending her days this summer in the Adaptive ABA program downtown.
I continue to be busy - no slowing down for me. I am so grateful to work from home, so I can attend to the kids when needed, especially being able to get Delaney to her many therapy locations. I have lost one member (who moved to Colorado) of my "Girl's Night Out" group, but hope to continue that time together this summer.
Our summer plans are pretty uneventful. We are going to try and get to the zoo on occasion, and we are planning our annual waterpark venture with friends. Other than that, I think we will be spending a lot of time in the backyard - can't beat the cost and ease of travel! :)
Better tackle the breakfast dishes now! Blessings!

2 comments:

jefteach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jefteach said...

Hi Jennifer:

I did not mean to delete the comment I left, I merely wanted to edit it and didn't know how.

Anyway glad the trip to Michigan went well.

Take Care,

Janet

http://jefteach4610.blogspot.com